The Field Diaries: Time Out Sydney

the field diaries_preview.jpg

Time Out Sydney magazine produces relevant content regarding entertainment, events, culture and lifestyle in and around Sydney.

TITLE: Editorial Intern

CURRENT MAJOR/DEGREE: Bachelor of Communication (Journalism)

AGREEMENT: 100 hours of work, one day per week, over 13 weeks.

REMUNERATION: Unpaid, with the opportunity for work to be published online weekly. At the end of the internship, I will be qualified for the paid Editorial Assistant position (full-time, for graduates)


A day in the life

6:50am: I'm out the door at this ungodly hour to catch my bus to Leppington station.

7:30am: I catch the train to Central which usually takes about an hour.

8:35am: At Central, I catch the light rail to Glebe and walk 2 minutes to get to the office around the corner from the stop.

9:00am: I like to get in the office a bit before nine in order to set my things down and get settled. As soon as the clock strikes nine, my editor briefs me quickly on what she expects me to work on today. I then read through her emails to see what event(/s) I'll be covering that day. Sometimes, a fellow colleague might get me to transcribe an interview for them before getting on with my own work (yay, free labour).

9:30am: Today I'm transcribing a 15-minute interview for a colleague before getting started with my own work. The interview is with the owner of Sandy’s Music Record Store, one of Sydney’s oldest record stores that's been in Dee Why since the 1970s.

10:30am: By now, I'm finally done transcribing and it's time to check my emails from my editor that detail the bulk of my tasks for the day.

10:40am: Once I've read through all my emails, I begin my research on the event(/s) I'll be covering. My editor wants me to work on a feature today on Vivid Ideas, picking out the top-ten highlights of the festival. This will take most of the morning. I research the talks and discussions that will be on the program and select a diverse mix of them that will appeal to Time Out’s broad audience. As I research, I begin writing up 75-word ‘previews’ for each event along with an engaging introduction.

12:40pm: I am just about done writing my feature and it’s time to do some final edits and cutting down before sharing the document with my editor for her approval.

1:00pm: I usually go for my lunch break after my first major task of the day is complete. During my break, my editor generally makes suggestions and final copy edits to my work on Google Docs.

2:00pm: Back from my break fed and watered, it’s time to adjust my work according to my editor’s comments. This allows the opportunity for me to learn from my mistakes and be effectively trained in writing good copy. Altering my work generally takes about five to ten minutes.

2:10pm: I begin to transfer my work onto the website. This is a longer process than one might think. Time Out likes to feature all the booking information, dates and times clearly online for convenience. I also have to place each event within the feature into its appropriate category and tag (e.g. “Things to-do” or “Music”). Sourced images are also attached next to each event and credited accordingly.

4:30pm: Once the feature is published, my editor will ask me to update some regular events on the website with accurate information until it is time for me to leave. During this time, things are a little less hectic, so I am able to chat with my editor and gain advice on things such as managing social media accounts and analytics. She is quite friendly and her desk is right next to mine which makes her quite approachable.

5:30pm: My working day is over and it is time for me to leave!

The Field Diaries is a series dedicated to showcasing what it's like to work in the field of your desired career. Would you like to be a part of this series? Email Are you looking for an internship or job that's relevant to your degree? Join UTSoC Careers